I recently made a batch of healthy muffins for breakfast and they were so good I had to share. The reason I called them low/no sugar is because you could make them either way! (The title on the photo was my original title for this post, but search engine optimization didn’t like the “slash” I had, so I updated it to take out the “no” part. Sigh…my blogging friends will understand. Haha) Anyways- The muffins themselves do not contain any sugar (except natural sugars of course!), but I added a topping that includes brown sugar to make them a little sweeter. You could easily leave off the topping, or leave the brown sugar out of the topping and drizzle some honey or maple syrup on top instead if you want them to have a little extra sweetness and keep it sugar free.
To be honest, when making the topping I didn’t measure anything. I do that a lot. So I guestimated the amounts of each ingredient that I used to help you out, but if you add a little more of something or less of something, its not going to be catastrophic or anything. Don’t be afraid to wing certain things like this! Whenever I make crumbly toppings for stuff I just throw whatever looks good in there and its always delish. 🙂
- 4 bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/3 coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbs sorghum syrup (or other natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup!)
- 1 tsp vanilla (Learn how to make your own here
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tsp melted butter
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs chopped pecans
- 1 tbs rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Using a food processor, blend all wet ingredients together.
- Add in your dry ingredients, minus the pecans, and blend.
- Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Mix together topping ingredients. If mixture seems too wet, add a bit of flour until its crumbly. If it seems to dry, add a bit more butter. Measurements do not have to be exact. (Can omit brown sugar and drizzle muffins with natural sweetener after they're baked, or just leave out altogether.)
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until well done in center.