Indian food. I never thought I’d like it! I’m so much more open minded with food now than I was before marrying Ryan. He’s opened my eyes to the wonderful wide world of different flavors! Actually, BOTH of us tried Indian food for the first time a few months ago when a new Indian restaurant opened up in town and we thought it was pretty good. When we went back the second time we both tried the butter chicken and it blew our minds…And I’ve made it several times since then!!
When I was looking for butter chicken recipes online they were all so long and complicated and required so many ingredients I didn’t have. I almost gave up until I found a simpler one for the sauce that didn’t include a marinade for the chicken. Now I know this is probably considered cheating and isn’t authentic, but I wanted something that would taste almost the same that I could quickly make on a week night without having to go through the trouble of buying so many special ingredients and marinating the chicken ahead of time.
The easier recipe I came across didn’t really cut it for us. It didn’t taste anything like the butter chicken from the restaurant that we tried, and it seemed too tomato-y so I ended up adding a ton of extra cream, tripling the amount of Indian spices in there and added a bunch of other stuff to make it taste better and more like the recipe we fell in love with. The next time I made it I just completely winged it and made my own recipe since I knew the basics it needed to include. The result was this recipe!! It is absolutely DELICIOUS if I can say so myself and tastes almost just as good as from the restaurant down the road. Ryan thought so too. He tells me everything I cook is delicious and always remembers to thank me for cooking, but when he actually takes time to keep telling me, repeatedly, how amazing it is, I know its good! 🙂 So here is a quicker easier, yet still from-scratch recipe for Indian butter chicken! I hope you love it as much as we do! I could eat this every week and probably not get sick of it. ALSO! It only includes ONE uncommon ingredient- garam masala which is an Indian spice blend! (Side note, they have this spice blend at the store. Well at least they have it at Kroger where I shop! So it shouldn’t be hard to find either!)
- 1 lb chicken
- 2 cups basmati rice (other types of rice would be fine too if you don't have this.)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 tbs garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz heavy or whipping cream
- 8 oz plain tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream (can omit if you don' t have, but it makes it creamier!)
- flour, for thickening
- fresh parsley (optional)
- Cut your chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Sautee chicken, onion, garlic, garam masala, brown sugar, cumin, salt, and pepper in the butter until chicken is cooked and onions are soft.
- Add tomato sauce, cream, and sour cream and simmer while you cook your rice, stirring frequently.
- Prepare your rice.
- If sauce is too thin for your liking when rice is done, whisk in a dusting of flour to thicken until your desired consistency is reached.
- Serve butter chicken over rice and top with fresh parsley if you wish!